Achtergrond

Tuesday, 19 April 2011

Miscellaneous

Last week Romke and I went on a nice dinner together, it was our 18th anniversary.

Yesterday was my birthday. Thanks everybody for all the attention on Facebook! My good friend Donna came to have a coffee with me.

The boys have easter holiday now, I love the holidays. No pressure to make homework, just a lot of play time. The first day we went to a funpark, and the boys had a blast. We were about the only ones, so no lines, and they spent about 45 minutes in the bumper cars only! After 3 hours we headed home, and they all fell asleep in the car. The second day we went geocaching, (http://www.geocaching.com/ ) the first time in Doha! We didn’t find the first one (with all the construction going on here, it was located right where a new road was built) but we found the second one. The third day we went to the pool in the morning with friends. They came to the pool in our compound because we don’t have life guards (their pool has) who tell you not to do cannon balls etc. They took our birds with them, and will take care of them while we are on holiday. Because tomorrow we are leaving for Sri Lanka! Very much looking forward to it.

We also spent two mornings in the hospital for Lars. He has surgery scheduled for the second of May. One of his testis has not descended, and the ultrasound showed it was normal in size and shape, but high up in the belly. Can’t tell you how glad I am we don’t live any more in the Czech Republic. Hospitals and people here are so much better organized, civilized, and everybody speaks English. I felt like an outsider though, in the state hospital I was the only one without an abaya , head scarf and veil. I was wearing black long trousers and a black long sleeve blouse to fit in a little bit.

Olav is wearing braces now. He has an enormous overbite (like me) and this braces are to force his lower jaw to a more forward position. That way the bone and muscles will grow in that position, so it will stay there naturally. Later he will get the regular braces because his teeth are a mess. There is absolutely no space for his adult teeth to come through, so several milk teeth are pulled already to create (temporary) space. The braces he is wearing now will hopefully (but not guaranteed) prevent adult teeth to be pulled. He has to wear them for about two years, day and night.

Now I’m going to throw the last couple of things in my suitcase, and hope I haven’t forgotten anything…