Achtergrond

Saturday, 21 May 2011

Lars’ surgery (long version)

In every country it takes some time to figure out how the medical system works. Here in Qatar you have private hospitals, and one big state hospital. Medical care in the state hospital is almost free, but usually you have to wait two, three hours before it is your turn. The care in the state hospital is high quality, and the private clinics send the more difficult cases to this hospital because they have specialists in every division. But everyone who can afford it goes to private clinics because there doctors take more time to answer your questions, nurses are friendlier, it is possible to make an appointment on a time that suits you and the buildings are friendlier, with windows and the pediatric department has colorful walls and chairs.

So when the pediatrician told me he referred Lars for surgery to the state hospital, I had an “uh oh” feeling. Lars had an undecended testis. Usually this is discovered by birth, quite often nature repairs it itself, and if not surgery is usually done when the boy is around 1 year old.

I went to the hospital to make an appointment (no you can not do that over the phone, you have to physically go there…) I discovered it is almost impossible to find a parking spot, so I parked illegally somewhere.  I entered the hospital through the female entrance, and luckily there was an information desk so I could ask for directions. Making the appointment at the pediatric desk was an adventure in itself. Only women of course, as you know men and women are strictly separated. Nobody lines up, there’s just a lot of women waving their appointment cards, talking loudly. I was dressed in black long trousers, and a black long sleeved shirt buttoned up till my chin. But still I was the only one without an abaya, scarf and a veil, and that makes you feel uncomfortable, almost as if you are naked.  So I just waited with a smile until finally a lady at the desk waved me through and gave me a surgery date for Lars.

Lars had to come in for a check first, and blood tests. (everytime it took me at least 30 min to find a parking spot) The surgery was the second of May. He was not allowed to eat or drink since the night before, and we had to come in at 6.00 (Yes, AM!). Romke had taken the day off, so we took turns reading to Lars and play games with him. It was a long, long wait, he went in for surgery at 14.00 h. He was very thirsty, and was not even allowed to drink water. He hadn’t had food or a drink since the night before at 19.00 h! Poor guy was so hydrated he only wanted to sleep the last couple of hours before surgery. It surprised me they could find a vein to put in the IV.

Surgery took about 30 min, waking up from the anesthetic took longer. We were not allowed to be with him when he went under, and also not to be with him when he woke up… quite unsettling…

It is a routine operation, straight forward, and there were no complications. That’s why I thought he would recover quick and would be back to school in 3 days… But he had a lot of pain, I clearly underestimated the whole procedure. He stayed home for a week, and was not allowed to do any sports for 2 to 3 weeks. (no swimming when it is 45 C)

We have been back for check ups two times, everything is fine, next check up is in 2 mnths.