And this is my good friend Mirjam, and she will be very mad at me for posting her picture, but I'm going to anyway. We met on holiday, summer 1985. We lived on opposite parts of The Netherlands, so didn't see each other often. We still have all the letters we wrote each other over the years. Once I'm (really) old, I'll re-read them.
We hadn't seen eachother for over 10 years, and this time Mirjam made the effort to come to The Hague (where we stayed during our holiday). An over three hours train ride one way, thanks Mirjam! We went to a museum together and had a lovely lunch in the sunshine. It was good talking again, picked up where we left, it's so nice to talk to someone who knows your stories from over the years, who knows your family, who knows your back ground. The past 11 years I only made friends to bid them farewell again after one or two years. Those friendships may have gone deep, because you know you only have a short time, but you usually come from different countries, and it's always in the back of your mind that after you move you will probably never see each other again.
It's nice to have friends that you share history with.