Achtergrond

Saturday, 17 September 2011

On the move II



I’ll pick up again where I left off last blog post.

We decided it was important to go to Holland with the boys this summer, and not to cancel. It is very good for their language development, and maybe even more important, for their “sense of belonging”. As they have lived in so many countries, they have a problem with the question “where do you come from?” Depending on who asks they come up with an answer. Thus, staying with friends and family in Holland is a good way to get them a bit rooted in the country that  at least Romke and I call home.

The boys and I flew to Brussels, Romke stayed in Doha and traveled a bit later to Houston. My parents were extremely brave, they took our wild boys for 4,5 days (remember, they only raised girls, and they will confirm that boys are a totally different species). And I hopped on a plane to Houston (luckily I could use Romke’s points, and flew business!!). I saw 27 houses in 2 days and then Romke looked at my top 3 during his lunch break on day 3. We made an offer on one of those three and completed all the paperwork in a hurry and flew back to Amsterdam together. Almost missed our flight, it really got me worried. Some people complain about jetlags. Well I can tell you, even if I wanted to have a jetlag there was just no time. Probably 2,5 day high on adrenalin. The offer was accepted the next day when we were back in the Netherlands. Oh and both nights we also had dinner appointments, one time with Romke’s boss, and one time with a colleague and his family. They have kids at the same school. Oh and we also visited a school. Looking back I don’t know how we cramped it all in such a short time.

Back in Holland Romke stayed for a couple of days, flew to Argentina for a training, came back for 2 days to Holland, and we all flew back to Doha. Poor Romke has hardly had any holiday.

In the next post I will write about the house (mansion).