Sometimes 5 weeks of your life feels like 5 years, because so many things are happening. As everybody knows by now (thanks to facebook, if you don’t have an account yet I can strongly recommend to get one to stay better connected) we have to move again.
Around 15 July Romke was told his next job is Exploration Treasurer in Houston, Texas. Starting date: August 1!!! Quite shocking as we arrived in Doha only early August of last year. Romke is going to love his new job, he is back in treasury, big promotion, dream job.
For me it took me a day to get used to the idea. We both liked living in Doha. Believe it or not, I like the heat (ok, summers are too hot, even I admit), people are so much more friendly and helpful than in the Czech Republic, I don’t mind too much the extreme crazy driving of the Qatari nor the dress code rules, the food is much better, supermarkets are huge and very well stocked (again: comparing to Cz), hospitals well organized, kids attend a school with a special integrated Dutch program so I don’t need to homeschool anymore, lots of kids from school in the compound so the boys can go to their friends by themselves, tennis and swimming lessons for the kids and sport classes for me on the compound (no travel time), excellent pool on the compound that you can use about 9 months a year, carpool to school with my neighbor Marlies, shopping trips and “discover Doha trips” together with my good friend Donna…
But it is like it is, so now it is time to make big decisions. When do we move, do we go on our planned holiday to Holland or skip it/shorten it, do we buy or rent a house, will we send the kids to a British or an American school, if an American school: public or private, when do we go and pick the school/house, when do we pack up the house (shipping the container will take about 6 weeks), we have to sell the BMW’s, and most important of all: WE HAVE TO SELL OUR (7 week old) BOAT!!!
I guess that hurts the most, we were so tremendously enjoying our little boat. Going for a ride and swim is so totally de-stressing. If you go for only two hours it feels like a mini holiday. We went out every single Friday and Saturday.
But, like I said: it is like it is, and I’m happy to let you know we sold already one car and we’ve signed the kids up for a school, bought a house and Romke loves his new job. I’ll tell about that another time as it is quite emotionally draining to write everything down.