Achtergrond

Wednesday, 9 June 2010

FAQ

Frequently asked questions:

How do you feel about moving to Qatar?
Well… it’s absolutely more exciting than moving to Brussels, isn’t it? For the record: we have nothing to say about our next destination, ExxonMobil tells us where to go, it’s not that we have 3 options to choose from. Sure Romke can say “no”, but that’s sort of end of career. For me the big point was the school for the boys. As soon as I heard all 3 boys are in, in the same British school, I had a feeling like “everything is going to be alright”. Some people told me they don’t have 70 hours work weeks. That would be nice for a change! The food will be absolutely more interesting than the Czech pork knees with dumplings. It’s on the sea side; maybe we can buy/lease a sail boat????? (First I need to learn how to sail as I only know the basics).

For how long are you going to live there?
We don’t know. I always say: “for 18 months we are safe, after that they can move us with 2 months notice”.

How long have you been in Prague?
Exactly 3 years. The longest assignment ever!

Will you start working again there?
Would love to! It’s possible to get a work permit as a spouse, and it’s English. But we’re not planning on having a nanny, and we have no social network. So if you have a sick kid, you have to take a holiday. It’s not like you can ask your mum, good friend or sister to take care of the kid for a day. When I look around in the expat world how difficult it is without having a nanny… I’m not sure yet. Besides, it will be a 40 hour job; it’s not like The Netherlands where working part time is widely accepted. But, I miss my work, so who knows??? This week I’m helping the school nurse with the annual eye tests, and I just love my job.

When will you move?
We don’t know yet. Depends on a couple of things. Probably mid August?

Do you have a house already?
In 6 years time the population has doubled, so you can imagine it’s hard to keep up with building houses and there is a big housing shortage. ExxonMobil takes care of providing a house in a compound. We don’t get to choose. If you have 3 children, you get a house with 4 bedrooms and that’s it. There should be a small yard with a grassy/sandy patch. The compound will have some shared facilities (incl. a swimming pool).

Do you have to wear a veil?
No, but I think when going off to a store you may have to wear a skirt over the knee, and sleeves over the elbow. But not sure. Some people say it has become more liberal in recent years. You can wear a bikini at the hotel beaches. Probably at all the beaches.

Have you had a trip to “look and see”
No… Romke has been in Dubai once, that’s the closest.

How hot will it be in summer?
I’ve heard 50C / 122F, but internet sites speak of 43C / 109F. Hot enough to stay inside the whole day. Yes, aircons everywhere.