It has been some time since I wrote, so here comes an update. We can keep the brandnew washing machine, since repairing the old one would be more expensive. Ditto for the dishwasher, they installed a new one last week. Also the microwave and inbuilt espresso machine are repaired. You can imagine that makes Romke happy! Gate and garage door are working again. New external hard drive bought, new telephone ordered via internet since there seem to be only two stores in Prague that sell them so there was not much choice. Computer we had repaired when we were in Holland for Christmas, tomorrow new transformers for several ceiling lights are being delivered, so slowly everything is coming back to normal.
Meanwhile we have a lot of fun with the snow. I absolutely love to drive (in my car with heated chair!) through the white fields. I gave up outside biking, too dangerous and too cold. So now I go to the gym…
I think it started snowing on the 16th of December, and since then we live in a white world. There has been 3 days with temperatures of about 3 degrees above freezing point. Snow was falling down the roofs, and (Dutch as I am) I never realized it was that dangerous. Streets were shut off, red and white tape was put up everywhere on the pavements to keep pedestrians away from the houses. Our outside dining table broke because a big chunk of snow landed on its corner. Every time a chunk of snow fell down, it sounded like a dead man was falling from the roof.
Romke had built a beautiful Igloo with Olav. I started it, but Romke finished it, it was taller than I am. Unfortunately it started to thaw 2 days later, but still now the walls are taller than Olav. Now the snow is totally frozen, you can’t play with it anymore. This morning when I drove the kids to school it was – 18C (0F)! At pick up time it was only -8C (18F). So glad our heating system is working!